Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Multiplication Strategies

Room 12 is focusing on multiplication during numeracy this term. Most children know their basic times tables off by heart, those who don't are (hopefully!) working hard to learn them.
We have been learning a number of strategies to calculate complex multiplication like

4x48

We could use place value and split it up like:

(4x40)+(4x8) = 160+32 = 192

or we could round like:

(4x50)-(4x2) = 200-8 - 192

or we could use an algorithm like:

  48
  x4
  ---
  32
160
----
192

It would be great if you could have conversations at home connected to the maths we are doing in class.

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupDownloadAttachment.asp?GroupId=901564&AttachmentID=1306782

4 comments:

  1. I know most of my times tables but learning my 6,7,8 EMMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learnt all my times tables that I didn't know last year and can now answer them instantly (well most of them!)so I am very pleased with myself
    holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all my xtables, but am a bit slow on my 6's, oh well I practise them in my head in bed!
    I have caught on very quickly with the strategies I have learnt and have been sharing them with Mum and Dad at the table while eating dinner.
    R.H

    ReplyDelete